What Pediatric Hospitals Do?
Pediatrics is a medical specialty that involves prevention, diagnosis and treatment of pediatric illnesses in infants, children and adolescents. We are the best pediatric hospital in chennai. The doctors who treat pediatric diseases are called pediatricians. Some diseases are life threatening that need immediate medical care. Some of the diseases that are treated by pediatricians are chickenpox, anemia, mumps, measles, polio, and tuberculosis. Rare diseases such as Batten disease, Gaucher disease, Krabbe disease, Childhood interstitial lung disease, Ellis Van Creveld syndrome, neuroblastoma, Pompe disease and Ehlers-Danlos syndromes are also treated by pediatricians.
Some Pediatric Ailments Treated At Our Children's Hospital, Chennai
- Mumps: It is a viral infection that affects the salivary glands. It causes the salivary glands to swell. Its symptoms are pain in muscles, tiredness, loss of appetite, headache and fever. It is a contagious disease. Its transmission occurs through secretions from nose, saliva and contact with the patient.
Mumps are left to resolve on its own in a few weeks. To relieve the patient of fever and pain, analgesics may be prescribed.
- Measles: It occurs in children by infection of measles virus in the respiratory tract. Its symptoms are fever, and cough, followed by a skin rash. It is a contagious condition that passes from one person to another. Symptoms start to appear 10-12 days after contact with an infected person. The duration for which measles last is 7-10 days.
Measles isn’t usually treated as the infection resolves within 2-3 weeks. However, medication may be prescribed to ease the symptoms. In vitamin A deficient children, supplements for Vitamin A may be prescribed.
- Chickenpox: It is a viral infection caused by varicella-zoster virus. Its transmission occurs through airborne exposure. It results in appearance of red blisters all over the body. Its symptoms are tiredness, headache, fever, loss of appetite, and malaise. It is a rare condition which can last from several days to weeks. Children are vaccinated early in their life to prevent chickenpox. Lens Implants
Its treatment is not generally required. However, to relieve the patient of itching, the doctor may prescribe topical ointment or antihistamines.
- Fever: In fever, body’s temperature rises above the normal range of temperature. It occurs when there’s an increase in temperature set point of body. Its usually cause by an infection or a disease. Fever is usually left untreated. In severe cases, it is treatable by medication.
- Diphtheria: Corynebacterium diphtheriae is the causative agent of diphtheria. It affects nose and throat. Its symptoms are chills, fatigue, sore throat, difficulty in swallowing, difficulty in breathing, hoarseness, headache, fever above 100.4 °F, bluish skin, rapid breathing, and bloody and foul-smelling nasal discharge.
Treatment of diphtheria includes consumption of antibiotics, diphtheria antitoxin, and sometimes intubation or tracheotomy when throat is obstructed due to swollen lymph nodes.
- Anemia: It is caused when red blood cells are deficient in the blood. RBC’s function is to transport oxygen to all parts of the body. Its symptoms are weakness, fatigue, irregular heartbeat, pale skin, short breath, chest pain, coldness in hands and feet, dizziness, and headache.Anemia can be treated by taking oral vitamin supplements such as vitamin B12 or folic acids. Furthermore, treatments for anemia vary depending on the type of anemia.
- Whooping cough: It is a contagious condition in which the airway is infected. It mainly affects children. Its symptoms include red, and watery eyes, runny nose, congestion in nose, fever and cough.
It is treated using antibiotics such as erythromycin, azithromycin or clarithromycin. Macrolides may also be used due to their lower rate of side effects.
Why Amrit hospital?
Amrit hospital treats its child patients with utmost care and dedication. We empower our patients with knowledge and management techniques for living a better life. Our pediatricians are well-trained and treat all pediatric diseases. We have all the facilities for treating pediatric diseases and all the complication arising from them. We are one of the leading children's hospital in Chennai.