What is it?
Urology is a branch of medicine that deals with the diagnosis as well as the treatment of medical issues that affect the urinary tract in both men and women. The department of urology also treats disorders related to the reproductive system in men. Urology deals with organs such as kidneys, adrenal glands, ureter, urinary bladder, urethra, and the male reproductive organs.
The disorders of the urinary tract and male reproductive system are usually treated using medications and in some cases using surgical methods, depending on the condition of the disease. In cases of urinary tract infections doctors might prescribe antibiotic medications but for prostate cancer, kidney stones etc. surgical interventions might be recommended as the required treatment method.
Common Urology Issues
Some of the common medical issues handled by the Urology department are:
- Urinary Stone are hard deposits usually occur inside the kidneys and can affect any part of the urinary tract.
- Urinary Infections are infections caused by bacteria affecting different parts of the urinary tract. The infection of the urethra is called urethritis, while cystitis is the infection of the bladder and bacteria affecting the kidney can cause acute pyelonephritis.
- Incontinence is the involuntary loss of urine. It can be caused due to urinary tract infections, constipation etc.
- Urinary Tract Cancer
- Prostate gland enlargement is a common medical condition that occurs in men as they grow older. It causes urinary tract or bladder problems such as difficulty in passing urine as well as kidney problems.
- Male Infertility can be caused by a variety of reasons such as obstruction of the male reproductive tract, infections, erectile dysfunction etc.
Some of the treatment methods provided by the urology department are:
- Artificial Urinary Sphincter (in men) or Prolapse (in women) is a surgical procedure performed to treat incontinence. Other treatment options include medications such as anticholinergics, topical estrogen etc or medical devices such as urethral insert.
- Ablation therapy is a treatment option used to treat a kidney tumor.
- Cancer of the urinary and male genital tracts are usually treated with the help of
- Surgical removal of the cancerous cells,
- Radiation therapy to destroy cancer cells in the first stage,
- Immunotherapy to boost the immune system of the body.
- Transurethral resection of bladder tumor is a surgical procedure to remove bladder cancer.
- Ureteroscopy is performed if the stones in the urinary tract are small. In the case of larger urinary stones, a surgical procedure like percutaneous nephrolithotomy would be necessary.
- Alpha-Blockers such as terazosin (Hytrin) or tamsulosin (Flomax) are usually used to treat Prostate Gland Enlargement. These alpha-blockers help to relax the muscles of the prostate and bladder.
- Antibiotics are usually prescribed by doctors to treat urinary tract infection is treated with the help of antibiotics. Different types of antibiotics might be prescribed depending on the area and the severity of the infection.
- Surgery is recommended for treating obstruction of the male reproductive tract.
- Medications along with therapy might be recommended for erectile dysfunction whereas for infections of the genital tract antibiotics are prescribed to treat male infertility.
Why Amrit Hospital?
We offer comprehensive treatment for all the diseases of the urinary tract and also deal with male infertility issues. We provide services that include the treatment of the following ailments:
- Urinary Stone
- Urinary Infection
- Urinary Tract Cancer
- Male Genital Tract Cancer
- Male Infertility
- Prostrate Gland Enlargement
Our Urology Clinic will be available on call at all times of the day.